My Teaching Philosophy – Take 2
My basic teaching philosophy has not changed - – “It’s about the students”! I will continue to try and seek ways to connect with students, and betting understanding their style of learning and interacting.
You know those 25-30 hours preparing for classes – well, I think because of this class it just doubled! My head is spinning on how to (better) use the technology of this class. I now that I will use podcasts for more than my classes – I’ll use is for committees too. I now know that there IS a better format – I CAN connect much more and much better – I CAN keep the courses relevant. I may NOT need a textbook at all!
Here’s my personal theory of education and educating:
“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically … intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education”.
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
• Education is a Rewarding Profession (OK not in the $$)
You will be rewarded -- Every Day – Every Way
• It takes personal dedication to empower students to be life-long self-directed learners and to reinforce the creative use of imagination and self-expression.
• By creating an atmosphere of equality, openness, respect and trust to promote better performance, I can capitalize on a student’s strength and learning style.
• I can open minds and open doors – I really believe that sometimes learning begins in the parking lot!
• I value the potential and individuality of every student – I realize that I may touch not just one life... but the lives of students’ children and new generations.
• learning is not a guaranteed consequence of my teaching, and students may not all learn at the same pace – understanding sometimes comes later.
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire”.
~ William Butler Yeats
• I (still) live for the “AHA” moments!!
• Being an Educator is Lifelong... and, for me, has been Life Changing.