Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Teaching Philosophy

Chris Heyer - Week 1 Blog: My Teaching Philosophy June 2, 2009

My basic teaching philosophy is – “It’s about the students”! I’m constantly seeking ways to connect with my students. Understanding their style of learning and interacting with me and their fellow classmates means success – or not. Also, it’s not necessarily about the final outcomes of the particular class, but the learning that occurred during the process.

I spend a minimum of 25-30 hours prior to each semester preparing lessons and delivery – can I improve it? How? Is there a better format for the class? Did I connect well? If not, how can I do this better? I also spend time creating and revising assignments and handouts – are they still relevant? Do I need them? Are their too many of them. (Oh, and don’t forget, am I really using the textbook?)

Once the lesson and materials are decided, the instructional delivery strategy begins. I usually finalize this after the first class – I can see the student dynamic, the level of comfort, and get a feel for how I will deliver the information. I love team projects and “real world” projects, and how it relates to my students – I have found that students do also. I use some lecture formats, but also have the students prepare to discuss the lesson to their classmates – everyone gets a chance to do this. Innovation in any course are important – students now expect it, and it allows me/them to present information in a current way.

I live for the “AHA” moments!!

4 comments:

  1. HI Chris,

    I like your blog design as well as your students first philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Chris, LIke you Blog design as well as your student first philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I love the excitement and enthusiasm in your philosophy, and can hear your voice speaking the words as I read them! (Not to worry, I don't hear other voices in my head.) It must be a wonderful feeling to know your students expect innovative teaching and learning in your classes - kudos to you for your continued hard work and committment to creating a student-centered classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,

    I can hear the Student Assessment Learning Outcomes pouring out of your blog. I agree with the need to continue evaluating how well we are connecting with and teaching our students. I also agree with putting the students first!

    ReplyDelete